Shannon Airport (SNN)
Driving Directions / Travel by Car
(Shannon, Co. Clare, Ireland)
Considered to be a gateway to the west of Ireland, Shannon International Airport (SNN) has become an important and integral transport hub for County Clare. It is located 24 km / 15 miles north of the city of Limerick and 24 km / 15 miles south-east of Ennis. Shannon Airport is well connected to other Irish destinations, with good transport links including motorways, main roads and rail connections that run to nearby Limerick.
Close to Shannon Airport, you will find Ennis to the north-west, Newport and Clonlara Village to the east, and Castletown to the south. Further afield, the city of Galway stands in Ireland's Connacht province and is the third-biggest city in the whole of the Republic of Ireland.
Directions to Shannon International Airport (SNN) from the north:
Directions to Shannon International Airport (SNN) from Limerick and the south:
- From Galway, head southbound on the N18 until you arrive at Ennis
- Follow signs for Limerick and Shannon Airport
- Turn right onto the N19 and continue until you reach the terminal
Directions to Shannon International Airport (SNN) from the east:
- From Tipperary, head along the N24 until you arrive at Limerick
- From Kilarney, take the N21 and follow signs for Limerick
- From Charlesville, take the N20 northbound and follow signs for Limerick
- From Limerick, follow the A18 over the River Shannon in the direction of Galway, turn off onto the N19 and follow signs to the airport
- From Limerick, follow signs for Shannon Airport, about a 15-minute drive
- From Nenagh, take the N7
- Join the N16 and then follow signs for Limerick
- Turn onto the N19, which leads to Shannon Airport
Check-in times for international flights are two hours prior to take off. For domestic flights it is one hour. It is important to leave adequate time to arrive for check-in. If arriving by car please note that the motorway network surrounding the airport and nearby Limerick can get busy during rush hour.
Also make allowances for parking and transfer to the main terminal building. If arriving by taxi, the drop off point is directly outside the Departures Courtyard. Regular bus services run from nearby urban areas, but times of arrival can also vary depending on the time of day.
Shannon Airport (SNN): Virtual Google Maps